Monday, September 19, 2011

Ponyo's Hot Tea with Milk and Honey

Hey, guys! I've got thinking that I'd like to do a little recipe that I interpreted from one of my favorite Miyazaki Films, Ponyo. If you've seen the film, you'll know that there is a hot drink that Ponyo drinks with Sosuke and his mother in one of the scenes. Within the film itself, you can practically feel the warm and fuzzyness that the drink bestows upon the characters. Here is the recipe to try for yourself!



Ponyo's Hot Tea Milk and Honey Recipe:

Ingredients:
4 oz. Water
1 teabag of your tea of choice (Different flavors of tea can give it a different taste, I use green.)
4 oz. Milk
1 large spoonful of honey (or to taste, I like mine sweet.)

Bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan then pour it into a mug. Place the teabag into the water and let seep to a desirable potency. In the mean time, heat up your milk in the same saucepan until warm. Pour your milk in the mug with the tea. Fill a spoon up with honey and stir it in the drink.

Oishi! This is really good! It's perfect for cold days, bedtime, and for those with a cold. Enjoy! More Japanese recipes to come!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I've been looking for this <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think you can make a recipe for Saltwater Ice Cream like from the Kingdom Hearts video game? I haven't been able to find THAT recipe, and I really wanna know how to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it have to be tea? I drink only herbal infusions and was wondering if it can be done with infusions rather than black, green, olong, white, or red teas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely? It would just make the taste different than if you were using tea, i think.

      Delete
    2. I use Chamomile...it's delicious!

      Delete
  4. This was very good but I prefer it with half the amount of water than the recipe because the drink is to watery. But other than that it is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this reminds me a lot of chai tea lattes. Delicious! When I made it, I did it a little differently.

    First, I filled a standard mug half full with water. Then I boiled it in the microwave. Steeped my tea bag (Tazo Orange Chiffon black tea) for about five minutes (actually probably closer to ten because I may have forgotten about it).
    Then I filled a very large spoon with honey and stirred it into the hot tea.
    After that I stirred in about 1/4 cup of heavy cream (sorry I didn't measure it) straight from the fridge, I didn't bother to hear it because I wanted to actually be able to drink my drink right away. It made it the perfect level of warmth.
    I wanted a little something extra, so I also added a splash of vanilla, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and literally just a tiny dash of sea salt because it felt like it needed a tiny something to balance out the sweet.
    It was so awesome and I am not a tea drinker (although I do love chai tea lattes like I said before haha)! I only keep it around for when I am sick or have a severe sore throat.

    Please let me know if you try (and like) my variation! Adjust sweetness according to your tastes of course, as OP said. I like things pretty sweet but not overly saccharine, but probably a little more than the average person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the cream, I didn't bother to HEAT it, not hear it heh. Oops!

      Delete
  6. what? i thought it was only milk, vanilla extract, and honey. ok....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually just do a little bit of cinnamon 1-2 teaspoons of honey and a few drops of vanilla extract ( if you want it sweeter put a pinch of sugar in as well ), then I fill my cup half way with water and half way with milk. Stir and enjoy ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. i added cinnamon and a bit of vanilla extract and it was was amazing!

    ReplyDelete